Out there in the real world, I’m known as a tea freak. Someone who likes their brew a little too much, and gets very defensive over how tea should be done. I tought I’d share a brief post on my love for Camelia and hopefully you’ll be able to relate to the times of life were tea is there for you.

It give you whatever you need from it. It can cool you down, or warm you up. Relax you or awake you- clear your mind, or soothe it to sleep. It can allign your chakras or be a tender touch when talking to a friend, you just choose the right brew.

It’s 11 am as I’m writing this. I woke up a little bit too abruptly for my liking, by the sound of heavy wind banging back and fort against my window. It was Christmas not so long ago, and I was gifted with a beautiful ceremonial matcha set. I’m sipping some matcha writing this, knowing that will inspire me and give me some of that lovley teaine- so caffeine, but in tea. I’m sure you’ve heard of matcha (I’m looking at you, anime fans.) It’s a powdered green tea from Japan, which you can often find at Sushi places. Becuase it’s powdered, a lot of it’s health goodies come out to help your body. The usual antioxidants, caffaine and minerals. Making it a brilliant start to a day of blogging work.

There’s more to tea than just the leaves and the brew. It’s the circumstances of tea- the ritual that goes along with it, from washing out clay cups with out water in China, to running to the corner shop to get some milk in Northampton. There are parts of these rituals we’re not even aware of- I find it fascinating. How each country and culture decides to do tea differently.

Who we sit down for tea with matters too. I’m sure you drink a different tea when you’re with your nan than when you’re our in Starbucks with a friend. Even if you technically have the same type of drink, it feels different and has different effects, because of the person you’re with. I associate black tea with my dad going to work and chai latte with winter dates.

Altough I’m a tea freak, I love all types of tea. I jokingly talk about how much I hate the cheap stuff that’s been sweeped off a ship deck and put in the tesco value bags, but I still see their comforting powers. There’s no wrong way of doing tea. As long as you like it.

What are your favourite teas?

The queen of my world will always be a delicate oolong. Any type will do, but I do prefer the mellow tasting ones. Ooolong is sometimes called torquise or blue tea, but to me it’s a world of discovery with a range of flavours. I am yet to get a special Chinese Gaiwan to enjoy it in, but hopefully I’ll get to show you soon.

What’s your favourite way of making a black home brew? Are you a lots of milk, little tea person?

I do it the Polish way, which I think happens in a lot of Easter European countries and I think Spain, that means I like it with a good dollop of lemon juice and sugar. It’s great after a big meal or with creamy cake.

This brings me to my last question. Seeing as I am a tea freak, would you want me to help you polish up on tea knowledge? I’ve got a few facts in my head, so if you want, let me know what you’d like to see. I’d love to help with anything- finding the rigt tea, explaining them by type and how to find good quality teaas, brewing and its mytology (tea mythology exists, how cool is that?!) and how all the rituals look. Let me know in the comments.

Share:

13 Comments

1. January 3, 2018 / 1:07 pm

I do traditional english tea, with milk, sometimes brown sugar or two.
    Next up is chinese green tea. 3 minute brew, no additional extras required.
    Koreon ginseng tea. works wonders for your mood and has a slight sweetness to it, 3 minute brew also.

Also, I really dig the way you’ve managed to conjure up so much passion in your words about something as simple – albeit special – about tea.

Nothing wrong with being a tea freak. I approve of all freaks.

• Alicja
      January 3, 2018 / 1:13 pm

Thanks for the comment, I’ve been writing a lot of Odes for poetry and I think that’s what shines through. I like a good bit of ginseng, have got to give that one a try! I like a bit of green tea now and then.

Freaks unite, by all means.

2. January 3, 2018 / 1:09 pm

I’d drink tea with you. I imagine the chakra benefits would be quite outstanding to say the least. The aspect of routine and rituals of peace you mention. It’s almost a drug.

• Alicja
      January 3, 2018 / 1:14 pm

Sure, it’d be cool to have a brew. Tea is definitely a drug for me, I can’t imagine life or completing work without it. It’s more of a friend on the desk, than the judge that coffee can be.

• January 3, 2018 / 2:05 pm

friend on the desk. that’s what it is for me. untold cups of tea is basically the drug that gets me through the day. and for sleep it works great.

3. Holly
    January 3, 2018 / 4:47 pm

Matcha is great, I’ve tried this at a tea masterclass before. Have you tried tea from T2? They have a wide variety of flavours and they’re really amazing. I used to love what people call baby tea, plenty of sugar and milky too, but after my tea masterclass at T2 I started broadening my tea horizons. Great post!

Holly x

4. January 5, 2018 / 10:13 am

Great post. I really connect with you over the comforting powers of tea! I have just started writing about beverages on my blog so if you ever want to collaborate on a post together I’d be very happy. Have a good day x
    Love Penny
    PebblePen.com

• Alicja
      January 5, 2018 / 5:50 pm

Thank you, I’m glad you enjoyed it. A collab would be great! Feel free to get in touch when you fancy it.

5. January 12, 2018 / 11:36 pm

Ok I may have just been living under a rock, but I have never heard of Tea with lemon juice and sugar?! Sounds amazing! I’m such a traditional English breakfast tea with milk kind of girl, but I do like the odd peppermint tea when I’m branching out (I know…how adventurous…NOT!). Loved the post, and I’d actually love to hear more! X

• Alicja
      January 14, 2018 / 2:02 pm

Let me know if you try it! Mint tea can be quite adventurous, have you tried chamomile? I would love to write more, what sort of tea would you like to find out about in particular?

6. May 13, 2018 / 11:59 pm

I love oolongs as well. My favorite is milky oolong, yum! Lately though, I’m loving some herbals such as turmeric. I think I fell in love with it because of it’s medical properties more than its taste. Also, a good pu-erh is always welcome! My favorite are pu-erh cakes because of their uniqueness (especially mandarin pu-erh!). Great post 🙂

• Alicja
      May 14, 2018 / 6:31 pm

You shared a lovley selection there, pu-erh cake are definitley worth it. I’ve been enjoying a few tumeric lattes now and then, I can’t have it on their own because of the taste.